5 Steps To Raising Responsible Adults Through Contributions!
Operating a cooperative household is the best way to ensure that your children learn appreciation, responsibility, and how to take ownership of their environment. When everyone in the family contributes, incredible things start to happen. Start this early and you can be guaranteed that the out of control party won’t be hosted by your teenager. Why? Read on!
Children who are taught to respect their home and its contents will not want any harm to come to the things they have grown to love. Children on the other hand, who feel no sense of ownership for their house or possessions, have no vested interest in protecting it. They can be easily swayed by their peer group to host the shindig! Now, keep in mind, the party scenario given here is a great concrete example of what irresponsibility can look like. We have all seen it in our neighborhoods. Remember “Risky Business” with Tom Cruise?
So how do you avoid this and other toxic forms of irresponsibility? Well, I am going to share with you the 5 Steps To Raising Responsible Adults Through Contributions.
- Determine if the child is developmentally ready to do the task you have in mind. If you are unsure, request the Age Appropriate Chore List.
- Demonstrate what is expected and clarify with your child that they understand your expectations.
- Dissect it, break it down into bite size pieces, and with younger children, you may even want to diagram the steps and place the chart in a handy location.
- Be Deliberate and consistent. Don’t undermine your child’s ability and capacity to learn by rescuing them too early. Let them own the feeling of mastery which leads to feelings of self-confidence and increased feelings of self-worth.
- Develop a system of encouragement that speaks to your child. We all need to be validated in different ways. If you are unsure of the different types refer to Gary Chapman’s book The 5 Love Languages.
So, if you are determined to raise responsible adults who are appreciative and equipped to take ownership of their environment, don’t delay and get started. This 5 step program can change the dynamics of your household in as little as 10 days. Make the decision to begin and follow the proven system you have been given – the results will amaze you!